For a complete detection of gastrointestinal bleeding.
An easy-to-use rapid test for a complete detection of gastrointestinal bleeding
Actim Combi® Hemoglobin Transferrin is an easy-to-use rapid test that has been developed to enable a complete detection of gastrointestinal bleeding. The test detects two biomarkers for fecal occult blood: hemoglobin and transferrin. This dual detection reveals bleeding throughout the gastrointestinal tract. The advanced and unique design of Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin offers a very user-friendly and hygienic solution for both patients and professionals.
Feces don’t normally contain measurable amounts of blood, thus occult blood in feces is a sign of bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. This may be caused by for example hemorrhoids, but it may also be a sign of colorectal cancer.
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin is intended to detect bleeding in the whole gastrointestinal tract, even when no visible signs of blood in feces are detectable. The simple and non-invasive test procedure increases patients’ willingness to take the test. Early diagnosis of occult bleeding is crucial and can lead to life-saving treatments.
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin in a nutshell
- This test has been developed to allow a rapid and accurate screening of fecal occult blood.
- Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin covers the whole gastrointestinal tract by detecting two biomarkers: hemoglobin and transferrin.
- No dietary restrictions are required beforehand.
- Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin offers an exceptionally hygienic and convenient sample collection and handling.
- This easy-to-use test gives results on the spot in just 10 minutes.
- No laboratory resources are required to perform the test.
- The test kit contains all the materials needed to perform the test and it can be stored at room temperature.
How it works
How Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin works
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin rapid test is based on highly specific antibodies that allow the simultaneous detection of two biomarkers: human hemoglobin and transferrin. Hemoglobin indicates bleeding in the lower gastrointestinal tract, whereas transferrin is a stable marker for occult bleeding in both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.
Because the test is specific to human hemoglobin and transferrin only, no dietary restrictions concerning red meat, or vegetables and fruits with peroxidese activity are required. As a result, the test can be taken at any time.
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin detects gastrointestinal bleeding even before visible signs can be detected and it helps to avoid unnecessary, uncomfortable, and costly exams.
The innovative leak-proof sample tube allows an exceptionally hygienic sample collection – even at home. The sampling device automatically adjusts the amount of sample, which ensures that test results are always consistent. The whole test can be carried out without opening the tube cap. This guarantees a convenient and user-friendly testing handling. Once the sample collection is done, the sample tube can be stored at room temperature for up to one week, which enables taking multiple samples on various days.
Key facts on hemoglobin:
- Hemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying molecule present in red blood cells.
- It is released into the digestive tract when gastrointestinal bleeding occurs.
Key facts on transferrin:
- Transferrin is an iron-binding plasma glycoprotein.
- Like hemoglobin, transferrin enters stool through bleeding, but it is resistant to proteolytic activity and it is less degraded in the gastrointestinal tract.
How it helps
How Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin helps
The simple and non-invasive test procedure increases the patients’ willingness to take the test, and makes Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin an optimal screening tool. Unlike traditional guaiac tests, Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin does not interfere with food substances containing hemoglobin or peroxidase activity.
The accurate detection of invisible amounts of blood in feces is essential for early diagnosis and treatment. For example, the five-year survival rate of colorectal cancer is up to 90% in early-diagnosed cases, and it declines rapidly if the cancer has progressed further.
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin for a comprehensive and convenient test handling
- The test allows a rapid and accurate screening of fecal occult blood.
- It offers a better coverage with the detection of two biomarkers.
- The innovative design of Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin offers an exceptionally hygienic sample handling.
- No laboratory facilities are required to perform the test or to interpret the test results.
- The test offers an immediate access to results, without any dietary restrictions.
- A timely medical attention can be directed to patients who need.
- The test reduces unnecessary, uncomfortable and costly exams.
How to use it
How to use Actim Combi Hemoglobin Tranferrin
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin test kit contains all the materials needed to perform the test and it and can conveniently be stored at room temperature (+2–30 °C).
Open the Specimen Dilution Buffer tube and take some feces using the sampling stick attached to the screw cap.
Twist the stick in different places in the feces sample.
Put the sampling stick back into the tube by pushing the stick trough the cone and close the cap tightly.
Shake the tube to suspend the specimen in the buffer.
Use the sharp tip of the perforating device (dipstick) to puncture the perforation area in the bottom of the buffer tube then push the device into the tube until the stopper prevents it going further
Activate the test
Slowly invert the tube once and immediately place the tube on the table in an upright position.
It is important that the inverting movement is not too abrupt, a peaceful inversion is vital for the correct performance of the test. Also, the tube must not remain upside down.
- The result can be interpreted as positive as soon as one blue line or one red and or both blue and red lines, and one black line become visible in the result area. If, in addition to the black control line you see:
– One blue line in the lower part of the result area, the result is hemoglobin positive.
– One red line in the middle part of the result area, the result is transferrin positive.
– One blue line and one red line in the result area, the result is hemoglobin and transferrin positive.
- The negative result should be read at 10 minutes: no blue or red lines in the result area.
How to order it
How to order Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin
Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin test kit contains 20 tests and the following items:
- Dipsticks in perforating device
- Specimen Dilution Buffer tubes
- Test instructions for use
Separate instructions for sampling are available online.
- Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin 20 test kit | product code 30322ETAC
- Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin Controls | product code 30310ETAC
Actim Combi® Hemoglobin Transferrin Controls are intended to be used with the Actim Combi Hemoglobin Transferrin test for external quality control. The controls may also be used to demonstrate negative results and weak and strong positive results.
MDSAP 13485 and ISO 13485 can be found here.